Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back to School Activity

Ok,  first of all, I teach Senior English and health (sophomores) in a small school in rural Utah.  I LOVE teaching these classes and students.  This year, as we were just getting started, I tried to think of a great way to get to know my students (or to learn something NEW about my students), so I chose to use a children's book.  A great friend of mine, Cami Carlson, recently published a book of her own called "Hey!  You're Great!" 


This was the book that I chose to use to get to know my students.  I read it to my students - and you may be surprised but most of my students still LOVE to be read to!  This book is so unique in that is teaches a powerful lesson about being true to who you are in a fun, subtle way.  Cami's writing style is very catchy and fun; everyone loves it! 

So as I read to my students, both in English and health, I had them ,on a notecard, list 2-3 things that made them unique.  I got the best responses, for example, "I am a forgiving person", "I refuse to give into peer pressure",  "I have many siblings", "I am determined to become a nurse", or "I am good at wakeboarding tricks".  Any and all of the responses I got that day were new and useful to me as their teacher because it allowed me to immediately learn something personal about them, and I knew at least one thing that my students found important.

***To purchase this book, for just $8.99, go here or to Amazon.com.

1 comment: