Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You? 9/11 Activity


This week, as we have been preparing for the 10th Anniversary of September 11th, I have been filled with the memories and emotions. 

This year in my English classes, I decided that we needed to do something to remember this day.  My seniors were 7, in the 2nd grade, when we were attacked on that day.  They were young.  So I found an article that discussed the perspective of the 10 (known) children born to victims of 9/11 (their dads were killed on 9/11).  It was interesting to hear what things my students remembered and then compare what memories they have to the comments of these children (who are at a similar age as my students were on 9/11/01). 

I talked for a while about how I feel that 9/11 was a catalyst in my life.  I was in college at Utah State University and working in Ogden at Nutraceutical.  I had worked at Nutra for many years (probably 7 by that time), and I had always loved working there.  But as I was nearing the end of my college career (I had been accepted into the Education Program...FINALLY), I had had a "tugging" to quit working and driving to Ogden and to focus on my schooling. 

The morning of 9/11 I was at work, and Crystal, my sister, called me from Ohio (she and Brent were in Ohio then at Dental School).  She was noticeably upset.  She told me to turn on the radio, and then we listened to what was unfolding (by that time both towers had already collapsed).  We were terrified.  I remember as a little girl hearing from some kids at school that we could be bombed when the Third WW happened because we lived by Hill Air Force Base.  I think that on 9/11 I understood what that childish threat could possibly mean.  I was scared. 

As I finished up my duties that day at work, I knew that I would never come back.  I had previously hinted that it was time to quit, so that made my departure easier, and I left. The events of 9/11 instilled in me a sense of urgency and immediacy.  I knew that I needed to not waste any more time - I needed to finish my goals of becoming a teacher.  That was it. 

Although I was not directly effected by this tragedy, I was affected emotionally.  I watched the news and news program for a month straight.  I was amazed with the bravery, the dedication, the loyalty, the compassion, and the strength of any and all that were involved in one way or another that day.  Recently, I caught parts of interviews I had watched 10 years ago of wives who were on the phone with their husbands when their plane went down, 911 dispatchers calmly and peacefully talking to scared victims, and of course, the firefighters who served then and now without thought of personal harm.  When I think back to 9/11 now, I am filled with pride.  I am so proud to be an American.  I am so proud to see examples of love and service in my fellow Americans.

In the end, I asked my students to write about their most visual memory of that day and what lessons they (or have we) learned.  It was a great learning activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment