Sunday, September 25, 2011

Best Advice Writing Activity

Bloom where you are planted. I'm not sure who exactly gave me this advice.  I've recently realized that I have missed out on many opportunities because I have NOT bloomed where I was planted in my life. 

A few weeks ago, I had to go to Logan for the day for some orientation meetings.  I have not been to Logan or USU for a long time (probably since Lindsey was married).   I was shocked when I drove into town and didn't recognize the place.  Logan has boomed!  Even the road I drove daily, to and from school, was unrecognizable.

After my meetings, I set out to try to find my old apartment.  I found the one I lived in for 3 years, but I couldn't decide between two different buildings for my last apartment.

 I lived in the bottom apartment in this duplex for several years on 1100 N.  And as I drove down the road and looked around, I realized that I didn't recognize anything but my apartment.  I do believe that this road (since it's not a main road) has remained for the most part untouched since I lived there - but still, I didn't recognize anything.  Had I been so near-sighted while at USU that I couldn't see past my own front door?

It's sad.  Now.  To think of that.  At the time, I hated Logan, and spent most of my time away from there.  But what memories do I really have of that place?  I mean, I lived there for 4 years!


So...I'm trying to do better.  To see the beauty and joy around me.  To live in the present, not in the past.  To become familiar with my environment.  It is great to bloom!






P.S.  I have used this experience as a writing activity in my English class...what is the best advice you've ever been given and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment