Sunday, September 25, 2011

Creative Writing Journals

Our school district dictates the majority of what we are allowed to teach in a year.  But this year, I have decided that my students will complete a Creative Writing Journal along with the mandated work.  I used a few ideas to get this going.

First,  I bought a book called

Wreck This Journal
http://www.amazon.com/Wreck-This-Journal-Keri-Smith/dp/039953346X

This book is great for promoting random, creative acts.  Then, I purchased a composition notebook for each student (this year I was able to get them through the district warehouse).  The first assignment my students had was to decorate the cover any way they wished.  The only requirement was that their name was on the cover.  I used this idea for how to glue it all together.  My students went wild!

I have been incorporating at least one activity a week using their journals.  We have scribbled, journaled about 9/11, drawn a picture only using nature, and done some pre-writing activities.  My students are excited about something in English!  It makes me happy.


Try it in your classroom, and let me know.  I feel that high school students get pulled out of their creative minds and need to be reintroduced to them.  They need to find some joy in learning. 

How can it improve your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I first found this book on Pinterest and want to really bring it in to my 6th grade classroom. Your ideas have inspired me. Maybe you can tell me how else you used this fun & creative journal to inspire writing.

    Thanks.
    Justin Greene
    http://inthegreeneroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lately seen a lot of interactive notes books for science and reading or english classes. I am looking for idea for History and World History courses at the high school level. Any idea???

    ReplyDelete